March 6, 2013

Runs or Drives in the Family


Have you ever thought to yourself a distinct trait or habit you have was passed down from your family? As if certain things you like and dislike are a result from a past? Our families play a pivotal part in how we are brought up sure, but there is no denying the little things and details of our personalities that emanate through us from our past. Every now and then I will go through old family photos. Recently I came across these photos of my dad from the late 70s (hence the dolphin shorts and gym socks). My dad collected Corvettes back in the day and attended Philadelphia Corvette meets in the city. These photos not only tell of his past but of my future as well. As I looked at these admiring my dad's effortless coolness and nostalgia, I felt a sense of myself in these photos.

In my family, you don't grow up Lopez without loving cars and the sound of an engine. Being a Lopez girl was no exception and having four brothers only helped this habit. I absolutely love cars, vintage and new, sports and classic, in a way that makes my father proud and emanates his "swagger" through me. Oddly enough, having this "sense of myself" in these photos was more than emotional. After all, shortly after these photos I was on my way into this world physically. I mean c'mon my father was the man and still is. I imagine this is how he met my beautiful mother. What girl was gonna resist a guy in a Corvette? Needless to say, my father opted for more "child" friendly cars later on to accommodate a car seat, but it's still in his blood and mine till today. A love for the beautiful bodies and sounds of an engine, clutch and wind in your hair.

Old habits die hard, but these aren't old habits if I was born into them before I can remember. Embrace the past and remember it's part in your future. I have the coolest dad ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment