March 14, 2013

Eat, Grow, Glow




You are what you eat, right? In order to feel healthy, light and clear minded we must eat foods that are these in nature. I must admit I suffer from the worst sweet tooth but as the weather gets warmer and the days of sunshine get longer, I feel the need to boost my metabolism and do an overhaul of eating habits I have acquired during the wintertime. Lately I've been substituting my usual fried, greasy snack foods for more "simple" food. 

THE TASTE:

Seaweed

My latest craving is seaweed chips and rice cakes. Seaweed is consumed a lot in Asian countries in forms of jelly, raw, and in drinks and growing up in an Asian household I was always told the health and beauty benefits. Asian women will swear of the benefits it gives to produce shiny, strong hair, strong nails and clear skin and glowing complexion. My mom told me this since I was little but like many people, the smell, texture and look of seaweed can be a little intimidating to try. ALAS! Seaweed chips aka my alternative to greasy, salty chips I would have normally eaten before for lunch. Seaweed chips are more easy to consume because they are roasted and lightly salted and spiced. I was hooked after eating a whole bag and wont be turning to Doritos any time soon. They are light, crispy and delicious and packed with nutrients and let's admit... they look pretty cool. Word of advice: Kissing someone after eating these may be cautioned but at least you won't have cheesy orange fingers. 

Rice Cakes

Rice cakes are my alternative to sugary heavy breakfast foods. Starting work before the sun rises causes me to eat fast and easy. I usually will grab a coffee and donut or pop tart and call it my breakfast, leaving me with the sounds of an upset stomach later. Recently I have been having just my coffee and rice cakes which offer just the right amount to sweetness to wake me up. Cinnamon apple are my favorite but caramel and plain are usuals as well. They're light, crispy and filling which is the best part about them. You can eat two and not feel hungry an hour later. I even add Nutella spread on them or berry jam to boost the flavor if needed.

The Benefits:

Seaweed is packed with nutrients and minerals found in the ocean. They contain B vitamins, folate, magnesium and lingans which have cancer protective properties. They help with digestion, metabolism, and are loaded with iodine which can help prevent inflammation. They even can help with stress relief because they are abundant in b vitamins which helps with energy consumption. Cultures that include a seaweed diet or sea enriched vegetable are also shown to have fewer instances of obesity and diabetes.  Rice cakes are low in calories, plentiful in fiber and since they are a healthy carbohydrate, they give you lots of energy to last the day. 




Breakfast and lunch and no guilty feelings later


Healthy strong hair can be yours if you pack enough b-vitamins in your diet


A healthy clear glowing complexion can be brought on by seaweed's anti-inflammatory benefits





No comments:

Post a Comment